ENERGY BAR SANS NUTS (SALLYE)
A good addition to have along during a hike/bicycle/camping trip.
1 cbutter (2 sticks)
1 lbdark brown sugar***
1 clight corn syrup
1 can(s)(large) evaporated milk
16 ozmini marshmallows***
2-1/2 ccheerios (plain kind)
1-1/2 craisin bran
1/2 cmixed dried fruit, diced
1/2 ti 1 cmini chocolate chips
1/2 cshredded coconut
How to Make ENERGY BAR SANS NUTS (SALLYE)
- IMPORTANT: MEASURE ALL YOUR INGREDIENTS OUT AND SET ON THE COUNTER SO YOU CAN QUICKLY REACH THEM. ONCE YOU START THIS RECIPE, THINGS MOVE QUICKLY.
- ***DIET FRIENDLY SUBSTITUTIONS***
Instead of sugar, use 2 cups Stevia and 2 tablespoons of molasses. Mix them well together until Stevia is completely saturated with molasses. This will give you the equivalent of 1 pound of "brown sugar"
Second option: Use my sugar free marshmallow cream recipe...SUGAR FREE MARSHMALLOW CREAM (SALLYE)
Mince the dried fruit, or you can buy the minced fruit in packages already diced at most grocers)
- Place butter, brown sugar, corn syrup, salt and evaporated milk in a heavy saucepan or skillet (I use my cast iron) over medium high heat. Stir with wooden spoon to blend all ingredients.
- Bring to a rolling boil, stirring frequently.
Once at a boil, turn the heat to medium low and cook for about 10 minutes until mixture is nice and golden colored and forms a very soft ball in a small bowl of cold water. Don't overcook past the VERY soft ball stage.
- During the cooking period (or before), pour Cheerios, raisin bran,diced dried fruit, chocolate chips, and coconut into a large mixing bowl.
- When caramel mixture is ready, remove from heat and stir in marshmallow cream with a wooden spoon.
Continue stirring until mixture is well blended.
Pour the caramel mixture over the ingredients in the mixing bowl, and continue stirring until everything is well blended.
Be patient, this seems to take forever!
- Pour into a greased 13" x 9" baking dish and spread out evenly.
Set aside or about 30 minutes or so, to allow the mixture to firm up.
When firm, cut into bars and store in covered container.