I had Unsweetened and unflavored soy milk in the fridge. So I tried it. Nothing venture nothing gained . . . right?
So glad I did! Lots of added protein. No lactose. And great flavor!
How to Make Creamiest grits
- Measure grits butter and salt as package per directions.
- Replace the Water in the directions for soy milk
- Cook on medium low for 30 minutes. I know that is not what the package says. but creamy grits can NOT be achieved quickly. (even instant grits can be cooked this way on the stove.) They may be called grits but no one likes gritty grits.
- Watch closely and stir often. until the tenderness you like best. if the grits become too thick for you add more soy milk or water and keep cooking. (water added at this stage will not effect the creamy factor)
- Any embellishments should be added at the end of cooking. Cheese, Bacon, onions and garlic Shrimp and the like.