S.O.S. aka Chipped Beef Gravy on Toast
6 Tbspall purpose flour
6 Tbspbacon grease, lard, or shortening
3 cwhole milk
1/2 - 1 tspsalt
dash(es)pepper to taste
4 pkgchipped beef luncheon meat such as buddig brand original beef (in the lunch meat department)
How to Make S.O.S. aka Chipped Beef Gravy on Toast
- Slice the chipped beef lunch meat into bite-size strips
- Heat a TBSP. bacon grease in a deep skillet over medium high heat. Cook until starting to brown and crisp a bit. (5-10 minutes)
- Remove beef to a plate. Set aside and keep warm.
- heat remaining bacon grease in pan until melted. Add in flour and cook for a minute to brown slightly.
- Pour in milk and stir until thick and bubbly.
- Add the beef back into the pan and stir until well combined.
- Salt & pepper to taste.
- Place slices of Texas Toast under broiler until toasted, flip and toast other side.
- Arrange Texas Toast on plate and ladel gravy over the top.