Homemade Healthy Poptarts
*Next time I make these I will probably substitute half the butter for a ground flax/water combination and/or applesauce to help cut down on some of the fat.
- 3 1/2 c
- whole wheat flour (i used freshly milled)
- 1 c
- butter, melted
- 1 c
- plain yoghurt
- 1 tsp
- 3-4 Tbsp
- or so of jam, jelly or preserves of choice, nutella, peanut butter & jelly, apple or other fruit pie filling
- optional- powdered sugar or a homemade cream cheese or sugar glaze
How to Make Homemade Healthy Poptarts
- 1Combine the flour & salt.
- 2Combine the yoghurt & melted butter, then add to the flour mixture.
- 3Mix until a soft dough forms & form into a ball.
- 4Lightly flour a large flat surface.
- 5Roll out dough to 1/8"-1/4" thickness.
- 6Using a pizza slicer cut out rectangular shapes.
- 7Spread about 1 tsp jam, jelly or preserves onto half of pieces making sure to leave about 1/2" around the edges.
- 8Top each piece with another piece that closesly matches.
- 9Use a fork to seal the edges.
- 10Place onto baking sheet and bake at 350' for about 15 minutes or until golden.
- 11**If desired you can make a simple sugar glaze, cream cheese glaze or simply sprinkle on some powdered sugar.
- 12These can be frozen.
- 13To reheat from being frozen, simply pop in the toaster oven to heat.