Train Dining Car French Toast
3slices of 3/4 inch thick bread of firm homemade or french bread (a day old)
4eggs slightly beaten
·powdered sugar, jam. jelly. applesauce, syrup, preserves
How to Make Train Dining Car French Toast
- Use firm homemade or french bread (day old). Trim crusts and cut bread diagonally into triangles.
- Combine eggs, half/half, and salt. Beat slightly.
- Dip bread into egg mixture, allowing bread pieces to absorb as much liquid as possible. (Use a spatula to remove bread from liquid)
- Heat about 1/2 inch of oil to 325* Fry the bread in the 1/2 inch of oil until brown on one side then turn to brown the other side.
- Puff the bread in the oven, preheated to 400*, for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Drain on a paper brown paper bags (you can use paper towels) to absord excess fat.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar and butter. Or Jam, Jelly, Preserves, Syrup, Honey, apple sauce, or.....
Note I like adding a tad of pure vanilla extract to the egg mixture. Maxine likes adding cinnamon,
- Did a little research on the recipe. Found out it is the original Santa Fe Dining Car recipe... :)
I loved eating in the Dining cars...they seemed to have the best food. My favorite dinner was Roast Turkey...