6 TO 8 mediumtomatillos
1/2 mediumwhite onion
1 or 2 mediumhatch chile peppers (or jalapeno)
4 to 6 largeeggs
1/4 bunchfresh cilantro
1 dash(es)lime juice
1 tspsea salt
1 tspfresh ground pepper
1 cmexican blend shredded cheese
How to Make THE TOMATILLO SCRAMBLE (SALLYE)
- Remove stiff husks from tomatillos and discard. Wash residue from tomatillos and place in food processor
- Peel and quarter onion, add to food processor
- Remove stems from cilantro and discard; add leaves only to food processor
- Remove stems from chile peppers. cut in half and remove seeds and membranes. Add peppers to processor
Note: If you like more "heat", leave the seeds and membranes intact.
- Pulse food processor containing veggies until items are coarse chopped. Set aside.
- Add butter to a heavy skillet (I use my cast iron) over medium heat. When butter begins to bubble, add veggies from food processor.
Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until veggies are soft. DO NOT BROWN.
- Meanwhile, break eggs into mixing bowl, add dash of lime juice, salt and pepper and whisk until light and foamy.
You can also add a tablespoon of water if desired, to "fluff" up eggs.
- Turn heat down to medium low.
Pour eggs over vegetables, and stir with wooden spoon to blend.
- Continue to cook at medium low heat until eggs are set to suit your taste.
- Plate immediately and sprinkle shredded cheese over each serving.
You can also garnish with a sprig of cilantro and/or crumbled bacon pieces.
- Best if served while still piping hot.
PS If you want to be really decadent, you can use bacon drippings in place of the butter. LOL