Eggs in Purgatory
- 1 small
- sweet onion, chopped
- jalapino pepper, chopped
- 1 small
- can of diced tomatoes or tomato sauce or fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 small can(s)
- diced green chilies
- 1/4 tsp
- mexican oregano or sweet basil
- gratted cheese or parmesan cheese
- 1-2 dash(es)
- 1 tsp
- cayenne pepper, more for more heat
- 2-6 large
- salt and pepper to taste
- toasted dense bread or homemade curtons
How to Make Eggs in Purgatory
- 1Saute' veggies in a little oil or bacon grease, for 6 minutes. When veggies a tender add tomato, salt and pepper.
- 2Add the spices to your taste. Can make your sauce to accommodate a Spanish, Italian or Moroccan flavor.Garlic, cumin, Spanish sweet smoked paprika, cilantro, flat leaf parsley. Continue to cook for another 15 minutes.
- 3Break eggs into bubbling sauce. Cover and cook on med til eggs are done to your liking. Plate and sprinkle with cheese. Cook for 5 min for medium eggs.
- 4If cooking for breakfast use a frying pan. For dinner use a 9x14" pan and bake uncovered @ 375 12-15 minutes. Make sure your sauce is very hot.
- 5As you can see this is a recipe that is cooked just to your liking. I use this sauce on omelets, over meat. It is good just with crusty bread.