Eggs in Purgatory
1 smallsweet onion, chopped
1jalapino pepper, chopped
1 smallcan of diced tomatoes or tomato sauce or fire roasted tomatoes
1 small can(s)diced green chilies
1/4 tspmexican oregano or sweet basil
·gratted cheese or parmesan cheese
1 tspcayenne pepper, more for more heat
·salt and pepper to taste
·toasted dense bread or homemade curtons
How to Make Eggs in Purgatory
- Saute' veggies in a little oil or bacon grease, for 6 minutes. When veggies a tender add tomato, salt and pepper.
- Add the spices to your taste. Can make your sauce to accommodate a Spanish, Italian or Moroccan flavor.Garlic, cumin, Spanish sweet smoked paprika, cilantro, flat leaf parsley. Continue to cook for another 15 minutes.
- Break eggs into bubbling sauce. Cover and cook on med til eggs are done to your liking. Plate and sprinkle with cheese. Cook for 5 min for medium eggs.
- If cooking for breakfast use a frying pan. For dinner use a 9x14" pan and bake uncovered @ 375 12-15 minutes. Make sure your sauce is very hot.
- As you can see this is a recipe that is cooked just to your liking. I use this sauce on omelets, over meat. It is good just with crusty bread.