Cornmeal Mush fried and basic recipe- July17 2012
How to Make Cornmeal Mush fried and basic recipe- July17 2012
- 1In a small bowl, combine the cornmeal and cold tap water.
- 2Meanwhile, in a 2 quart pan, combine the salt and hot water. Bring it to a boil over high heat.
- 3While the water is heating, add the cornmeal mixed with the cold water. Combining the cornmeal with cool water before adding it to the boiling water keeps the cornmeal from lumping up when it hits the hot water.
- 4When the water and cornmeal boil, reduce the heat to low. Allow the mush to simmer for about 10 minutes, or until it is nicely thickened. If your cornmeal is less than fresh, you may add half a tablespoon of sugar to make it taste fresher and sweeter.
- 5Take this mixture, pour in to loaf pan(s) and place in fridge, covered with foil or plastic wrap, for at least 12 hours.
If you are using store bought mush: Proceed from here:
Remove from frige, slice in 1/4 to 1/2 in slices. Dredge in flour or cornmeal (you can also skip this dredgin step) and fry in bacon grease in iron skillet until brown and crispy- about 2 to 3 mins a side. Drain on paper towel.
- 6This is a fantastic replacement for taters and you can use salt and peppa, serve with fried eggs and bacon. You can also put syrup on them for a sweet treat. You can cover them in gravy (tomato or milk gravy) have them as a savory side. It is yummy with cheese, garlic butter, herbs of choice, etc..Your imagination is the limit.