Spicy Breakfast Eggy Muffins
9 largeeggs, beaten
6 slicelow-sodium bacon, diced
1/3 cquinoa, cooked
1/4 csundried tomatoes, diced (bagged not jarred)
1 smallyellow onion, diced
3 tspbragg liquid aminos (a sodium-free substitute for soy sauce)
2 tspchipotle pepper in adobo sauce, pureed
·sriracha sauce, to taste
·parmesan cheese, grated, to taste
How to Make Spicy Breakfast Eggy Muffins
- Cook quinoa (keen-wah)according to package directions. Before all the water is absorbed into the quinoa, add the diced sundried tomatoes, so the quinoa can absorb the flavor. Add the diced onion to the quinoa/sundried tomato mixture, once the water has been absorbed.
- Dice and fry bacon in a large skillet, until crispy. Drain half the fat (or keep it all for added flavor) and reduce the heat to low. Add the quinoa/sundried tomato/onion mixture to the bacon. Be sure the bacon fat has cooled down enough or the mixture may pop, and splatter outside the skillet! Add the pureed Chipotle peppers. (I puree an entire small can in advance and leave it in the fridge in a tightly sealed container.) Add the Bragg Liquid Aminos. Stir until all ingredients are well blended.
- Beat the 9 eggs. (I use an immersion blender, which helps make the muffins fluffier.) Add the Sriracha sauce and blend a little more.
- Spray your muffin papers (I use silicone muffin cups) with cooking spray. Using a regular small spoon (not a measuring spoon), place the quinoa mixture into the bottom of the papers/muffin cups. Pour egg mixture into each muffin cup, just below the top. You should have equal amounts in each of the 12 cups. Using the spoon, gently stir the contents of each cup for better distribution. Sprinkle each cup with Parmesan Cheese. Bake for 18 minutes in a 350F oven. Allow to cool before removing from cups. (This is where the silicon cups make it super easy!)
- Serve on your favorite bread muffin or roll. I enjoy a toasted English Muffin or a small, fresh pretzel roll. I also spread a little mayo or mashed avocado on the bread. Store eggy muffins in the refrigerator for up to a week and a half, if they last that long! Reheat a single muffin in the microwave on high for about 53 seconds.