- 4 oz
- cream cheese, room temperature (or 1/2 c. light sour cream)
- 1/2 c
- 8 large
- eggs, divided
- 1/4 tsp
- salt (or mrs. dash salt-free seasoning)
- ground black pepper
- 1/4 c
- red or green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 Tbsp
- sliced green onions, with tops (or any onion)
- 1 tsp
- butter or margarine
- 2 pkg
- refrigerated crescent rolls tubes (8 oz. each)
- 1/4 lb
- thinly sliced deli ham (or 1/2 lb. cooked pork sausage)
- 1/2 c
- cheddar cheese, shredded
How to Make Breakfast Braid
- 1Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Place cream cheese (or sour cream) and milk in a large bowl. Beat until smooth.
- 2Separate 1 egg reserving the egg white. Place yolk and other 7 eggs in bowl with cream cheese and milk. Add salt and pepper; whisk to combine.
- 3Melt butter in frying pan. Add green pepper and onion. Cook for 1-2 minutes then add egg mixture. Cook, stirring until eggs are set but moist.
- 4Unroll 1 tube of crescent rolls; do NOT separate. Arrange longest side of dough across width of 15 x 12 baking sheet. Repeat with other tube but overlap slightly at bottom of first dough and top of second. Roll or pinch dough to seal perforations.
- 5Leaving a six inch wide area in center of dough from top to bottom for the egg and meat. On each side of that area, cut 1 1/2 inch wide strips about 3 inches long down each side.
- 6Arrange ham or sausage down the center area. Spoon eggs over ham and cheddar cheese over the eggs.
- 7To braid, lift one strip from each side across the filling to meet in the center, twisting each strip one turn before connecting in the middle. Continue with remaining strips until complete. Brush with egg white.
- 8Bake for 20 -25 minutes until golden brown. Remove and serve warm.