Sweet Potato Casserole with Prosciutto
Alongside eggs and bacon or as a side dish for roast turkey or pork.
Using the orange-fleshed sweet-potato will give a thinner and creamier texture- the meaty yellow ones(sweet potatoes by USA standards)which are meaty and yellow fleshed will make it thicker and denser.
Either will taste great!
- 1/3 c
- pecan halves
- thin slices prosciutto, or more, cut into 1/2 inch strips
- sweet potatoes, cut into slices-1 inch thick
- 2 Tbsp
- 1/4 c
- creme fraiche
- 1/2 tsp
- 1/2 tsp
- fresh ground pepper
How to Make Sweet Potato Casserole with Prosciutto
- 1Preheat oven to 350^. Spread the pecans in a single layer in a pie dish. Toast stirring occasionally, until the nuts are fragrant and barely golden about 10-12 minutes. Remove and cool.
In a skillet over medium-high heat, cook the prosciutto; stirring until crisp, 2 to 3 minutes; Set aside.
Increase oven temperature to 400^. Spray a 1 1/2 quart baking dish;set aside.
- 2Place the potato slices in 2- Ziploc steamer bags for the microwave and cook for about 10 minutes each bag in the microwave or until fork tender. When done and cool enough to handle, peel the slices and transfer to a bowl. Using a potato masher, mash until nearly smooth. Add 1 Tablespoon of the butter, the creme fraiche, salt and pepper and stir to blend.
- 3Stir in the prosciutto. spread mixture in the prepared dish. Coarsely chop the pecans. Sprinkle over the potato mixture. Place dabs of the remaining butter over top.
- 4Bake until the butter has melted, the top has formed a lightly golden crust and the sweet potatoes are hot throughout, about 20 minutes. Serve hot.