Spring Peas with Eggs and Ham
She likes to serve it with country bread drizzled with olive oil and toasted or grilled.
She cooks the pea mixture ahead of time so all she has to do is warm it, crack the eggs, arrange the sliced peppers , and pop it in the oven.
I think you will enjoy this recipe
as much as we do!
- 1/4 c
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large
- onion, diced(1 1/2 cups)
- 1 tsp
- 1/2 tsp
- freshly ground pepper
- 5 clove
- garlic, minced
- 1/2 c
- pine nuts
- 3 c
- green peas-fresh or frozen
- 3/4 c
- 1/ c
- roughly chopped fresh basil leaves
- 2 large
- red bell peppers, roasted and peeled- dice one and cut the other into 1/4 inch strips
- 2 oz
- serrano ham or prosciutto, cut into thin strips
- 8 large
- 1/3 c
- grated parmesan cheese
How to Make Spring Peas with Eggs and Ham
- 1Preheat oven to 400^.
In a large cast iron skillet , heat oil for 30 seconds. Add onion,salt and pepper. Cook over medium heat for 10 to 12 minutes or until onion is soft and golden. Add garlic; cook for 5 minutes, stirring often.
- 2Toast pine nuts in a shallow dry pan over low heat until slightly golden and aromatic 4-6 minutes. Add to skillet, along with peas and water. Simmer for 5 minutes or until peas are cooked. Add basil. diced pepper and ham; bring to a boil.
- 3Remove skillet from heat. Spread pea mixture evenly in a 9 inch ceramic or earthenware casserole.
With the back of a ladle, make 8 indentations in pea mixture. Break one egg in each of the indentations.
Frame eggs with bell pepper strips and sprinkle all with cheese.
Bake for 12-15 minutes or until eggs are cooked to your liking.
I used the bell peppers from the store that were already roasted. Diced some and cut other half in strips. So good!! Enjoy.