Homemade Frozen Hashbrowns
How to Make Homemade Frozen Hashbrowns
- Let the potatoes cool and then using a food processor or grater,shred the potatoes.
- Plunge the grated potatoes immediately in water while working. Otherwise, they'll start to turn gray/green
- Carefully Rinse the grated potatoes well to help remove some of the starch. A colander will work fine for this step.
- Now, Drain the grated potates thoroughly (we use a salad spinner!) or you can use paper towels or a clean (fuzz free) dish towel to gently press ALL the remaining water out of the potatoes.
- Gently spread the grated potatoes on a cookie sheet. If you like "Formed Hash Browns" mound them up in 3/4 inch thick piles and crease them with a spatula to make it easier to break them apart for cooking. If you'd like you can sprinkle them liberally with seasonings of your choice, salt and pepper, chipotle pepper, a dash of cayenne, etc.
- Freeze, once frozen, remove from tray, place in vacuum seal or ziplock bags and use within 2 months for best flavor.
- You may want to write simple directions for cooking on the bag:
SIMPLE DIRECTIONS FOR COOKING:
1)Thaw hashbrowns or not, depending on your preference.
2)Heat a Tablespoon of butter or olive oil in a large skillet, Add onions, spices, or whatever optional ingredients you want.
2) Add Hash Browns
3) Cook on one side until golden brown &crisp,
about 6-10 minutes depending
upon thickness, then flip &brown the other side.