Doughnut and Bacon Eggnog Bread Pudding
Geoffry Le Cher
Blue Ribbon Recipe
Make this the night before and pop it in the oven on Christmas and you have one simple, decadent and tasty breakfast. This would make an amazing holiday dessert too. Sweet and delicate doughnuts make a great base to this bread pudding. The eggnog infused sweet pudding is the perfect complement to the savory cream cheese/pecan topping. The center is warm, gooey and oh so good! The Test Kitchen
TOOLS OF THE TRADE
·8 x 8 cake pan
FOR THE DISH
10glazed, yeast dough nuts (Krispy Kreme would work well), cut into eighths
12slices, thick cut bacon, cut into strips and fried crisp
1 1/2 ceggnog
6eggs, room temperature
1/2 tspfreshly grated nutmeg
·pinch of salt
FOR THE DRIZZLE
4 ozplain cream cheese, room temperature
1/4 tspcinnamon, fresh ground
1/4 tspvanilla extract
1/4 ctoasted pecans
How to Make Doughnut and Bacon Eggnog Bread Pudding
- Cut parchment paper and place in 8 x 8 pan, so that the pan’s entire surface is covered. (If you forget this step you will be very, very sad… so don’t forget it! Trust me, you will thank me later.) Note that a little nonstick spray will help hold the paper to the pan.
- Mix together eggs, nutmeg, eggnog and salt and whisk until well mixed and it develops a good froth… 2 minutes.
- Place doughnut pieces in prepared cake pan and sprinkle bacon bits among the doughnut pieces.
Pour egg/eggnog mixture over doughnut & bacon pieces. Gently press down to make sure doughnuts remain submerged. Cover with plastic wrap and set in refrigerator for 3 hours… or better yet, overnight!
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Combine cream cheese, cinnamon and vanilla in a small bowl and mix well. Set aside. DO NOT refrigerate!
- Once the oven is at temperature, remove pudding from refrigerator, remove plastic wrap and bake for 30-35 minutes.
- Once done, place on cooling rack for 10 minutes and then remove from pan (see, I told you that you would thank me for the parchment paper) and place on a cake platter.
- Drizzle or ‘frost’ pudding with cream cheese topping, scatter pecans on top, slice and serve.