Calico Breakfast Bites
12-16 ozbreakfast sausage
10eggs, lightly beaten
2 tspmustard powder
1/2 cgreen onions, thin sliced, optional
6 ccubed bread
2 cshredded cheddar cheese
1/2 csliced mushrooms, optional
1 mediumtomato, seeded and chopped, optional
1/4 cchopped green or red pepper, optional
How to Make Calico Breakfast Bites
- In a large skillet cook the sausage until no longer pink.
If you like peppers, add them in the last few minutes of cooking time.
- Distribute the bread cubes evenly in 12 muffin cups or 24 mini muffin cups, that have been prepared with food release spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the eggs, milk, mustard salt, and pepper.
- Add the mushrooms, green onions, and sausage to the egg mixture.
Add cheese and tomato. Stir to combine.
- Scoop the egg mixture into the muffin cups.
Bake at 325* about 15-30 minutes (depending on size), or until eggs are set, but not browned.
- NOTES: If you prefer, use yellow onion, chopped, and cook with the sausage.
Ingredients may be assembled, and refrigerated, for up to 12 hours before baking.
Or, bake them the night before and warm them a few seconds in the microwave when you're ready to eat (or run out the door) :)
Increase the amounts to feed a crowd. This recipe is wonderfully versatile!
I use my DeMarle muffin trays, and these pop out beautifully.
Recipe may be made as a casserole, in a 9x13" baking dish, if you prefer. Bake about 55-60 min.
This recipe is easily made gluten free by leaving out the bread altogether, or substituting your favorite GF bread.