Anglesey eggs (Welsh)
11/4 lbpotatoes, peeled
3leeks, washed and sliced (white and some of the green part)
6eggs, hard boiled
2 1/2 cmilk
1/4 cbutter, cut into pieces
1/2 call purpose flour
1 ccaerphilly cheese, grated (sub sharp white cheddar)
1 pinchground nutmeg
·salt and pepper, to taste
How to Make Anglesey eggs (Welsh)
- Cook the potatoes in boiling water for about 15 minutes, or until soft. Drain and mash.
- Cook the leeks in a little water for 10 minutes. Drain. Stir into the potatoes with a little black pepper.
- Peel the eggs and cut into halves or quarters lengthwise.
- Preheat oven to 400F. Grease an ovenproof casserole dish with butter (or use nonstick cooking spray)
- Pour butter into a pan and melt over medium heat. Whisk in the flour until blended and then slowly whisk in milk. Add nutmeg. Bring to a gentle boil and cook 2 minutes, whisking, until thick and smooth. Remove from heat and stir in half the cheese and season to taste.
- Put potato mixture into dish and arrange egg slices over the top. Top with cheese sauce and the sprinkle remaining cheese on top.
- Put into oven and bake 15-20 minutes or until bubbly and golden brown.