Zucchini Orange Date Nut Bread - Dee Dee's
Diane Hopson Smith1
When I was still working, an elderly customer that I was very fond of would come in the bank and share gardening tips and recipes with me. This is a recipe that she shared with me and boy am I glad she did!
Use coconut oil and honey for a heathier treat.
Hope you enjoy this as much I do!
- 3 large
- 1 c
- cooking oil (or 3/4 cup) (i used 3/4 cup coconut oil)
- 1 1/2 c
- sugar (or 1 cup honey) (i used 1 cup honey)
- 1 3/4 c
- zucchini, unpeeled and grated
- 2 Tbsp
- orange peel (zest)
- 1/4 c
- orange juice, fresh
- 1 c
- dates, chopped
- 1 c
- nuts, chopped (i used walnuts)
- 1 tsp
- 3 c
- all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp
- 2 tsp
- baking powder
- 1 tsp
- baking soda
IF YOU USE HONEY, USE THE LESSOR AMOUNT OF COOKING OIL
How to Make Zucchini Orange Date Nut Bread - Dee Dee's
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2In a mixing bowl, beat eggs, cooking oil and sugar together until creamy and well blended; add zucchini, orange peel, orange juice, dates, nuts and vanilla; mix well. Set aside.
- 3Stir the flour mixture into the creamy ingredients. Stir until well blended
- 4Grease and flour a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan; pour in the batter and bake for about 45 minutes or until well done. IT TOOK ABOUT 1 1/2 HOURS IN MY OVEN! My oven is new. So, just make sure it’s done before removing from oven. I used a cake tester to test, tested until it came out clean. You can use a toothpick for same results.
- 5NOTE: When I poured the ingredients in the pan, I was certain this batter would rise and run over in to the oven so I placed a piece of aluminum foil under the pan in case it did. It did rise about 1-inch over the top of pan, but it didn’t run over. Perhaps this could be put into 2 loaf pans and baked for 45 minutes.
- 6Serving suggestions: Spread with cream cheese to serve.