Sweetly Southern Iron Skillet Cornbread
1 sticksalted butter
1 cbuttermilk, either regular or low fat
1 cyellow cornmeal
1 call purpose flour (i use white lilly)
1/2 tspbaking soda
1/2 tspsea salt
How to Make Sweetly Southern Iron Skillet Cornbread
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- Put the butter into the iron skillet, and place in oven to melt.
- Beat the eggs in a medium bowl; add the buttermilk.
- Sift the flour and cornmeal into a large bowl; add the sugar, baking soda and salt and blend together well.
- Add the buttermilk mixture to your dry ingredients and stir until just blended. Do not overmix...a few lumps may remain.
- Carefully take the hot skillet with the melted butter out of the oven and pour in your batter.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 40 minutes. The bread should be lightly browned on the top, and test the center with a toothpick to be sure it is done.