Sweet Sandwich Bread
It has consistent results, makes excellent toast, french toast or sandwiches, and is equally good for sweet or savory uses.
- 2 c
- warm water
- 1/2 c
- 4 tsp
- instant yeast
- 1 tsp
- 1/4 c
- vegetable oil
- 2 c
- whole wheat flour
- 3 1/2 c
- all purpose flour
How to Make Sweet Sandwich Bread
- 1Heat water to 110 - 120 degrees. Combine water, sugar and yeast in mixing bowl of a stand mixer and let sit until frothy, about ten minutes.
- 2Add remaining ingredients and run the mixer on low just until the dough is smooth and well combined. Longer kneading seems to make the bread crumbly. Dough will be slightly sticky.
- 3Cover bowl and let rise until roughly doubled, about 45 minutes.
- 4Punch dough down. Divide in half, and shape each half into a loaf. You can roll it out then roll them up. I choose the lazy route and just sort of squash them into the bottom of a greased bread pan.
- 5Set oven to 350 and let loaves rise again until roughly doubled. Bake about 30 minutes, until browned.
- 6Cool a few minutes in pans, then remove and cool completely on a wire rack. This is much easier to slice the next day, so at this point I wrap and store it in the pantry or freezer.