Sweet Fresh Tomato Loaf
I had 2 tomatoes and 1 lemon sitting on my cupboard for 3 days- Today I finally decided to use them up. This is the recipe I came up with. Hope you enjoy!
I didn't add bacon bits , but I think I might the next time and omit the nuts.
- 1 c
- 2 med. red ripe tomatoes, skins off
- 2 1/4 c
- all purpose flour
- 1 tsp
- baking soda
- 1/4 tsp
- baking powder
- 1/2 tsp
- 1/4 tsp
- nutmeg or cinnamon (i used a little of each)
- 1 c
- granulated sugar
- 1/3 c
- margarine or butter
- 2 large
- 1 medium
- lemon- juice and grated peel
- 1/2 c
- chopped nuts, optional, i used them
How to Make Sweet Fresh Tomato Loaf
- 1Push fork into tomatoes and hold over gas flame and turn forked tomato around and around over the flame until skin pops. Peel off skin.
Puree tomatoes, until only very small pieces remain- not into a liquid. Pour into measuring cup and squeeze lemon juice on top and then the grated rind.
- 2Spray two 8x5-inch loaf pans or one 9-inch loaf pan with non stick spray. Set aside.
Combine flour, soda,salt,baking powder and spices in a medium bowl, mix well and set aside.
Cream margarine and sugar; add eggs and mix well at medium speed of mixer.
add flour mixture alternately with tomato mixture ending with the flour mixture. Stir in nuts.
- 3Pour batter into two 8x5 inch loaf pans equally or into one 9- inch loaf pan.
Bake in 350^ oven for 45-50 minutes. Test with toothpick in center. If it comes out clean it's done.Place pan or pans on wire rack to cool 5 minutes then remove and place on rack to cool.Brush top with butter if desired.