1/2 cbutter-flavored shortening
1 1/2 csugar
1 cmashed ripe bananas (about 2 medium)
1 tsppure vanilla extract
2 cself rising flour*
3/4 cchopped pecans
How to Make Southern Banana Nut Bread
- In a mixing bowl, cream shortening and sugar; beat in eggs.
- Blend in bananas and vanilla.
- Add flour alternately with buttermilk,
- Fold in pecans.
- Pour into two greased 8-inch x 4-inch x 2-inch loaf pans
- For topping combine 1/4 to 1/3 cup mashed ripe bananas, 1 1/4 cups confectioners sugar and 1 teaspoon lemon juice; spread over loaves, Sprinkle additional chopped pecans.
- *Editor's Note: As a substitute for each cup of self-rising flour, place 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a measuring cup; add all-purpose flour to equal 1 cup.