Oh, this sounds heavenly! Two favorite things: bread without yeast, and HAZELNUTS! What's not to love?
Recipe: The New German Cookbook
2 call purpose flour
1/2 cwhole-wheat flour
1/3 cfirmly packed light brown sugar
1 1/2 tspbaking powder
1 tspbaking soda
1/2 tspfreshly grated nutmeg
1/4 tspfreshly ground black pepper
1 1/4 cfinely ground, toasted, blanched hazelnuts (see note)
1/3 ccorn oil
1 csour milk or buttermilk
1 largeegg, lightly beaten
How to Make SCHWARZWALDER HASELNUSSBROT
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flours, sugar, baking powder, soda, salt, nutmeg, and pepper, pressing out all lumps of sugar with your hands. Add the hazelnuts and toss well to mix. Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients. In a 1-qt. measure, whisk the oil, sour milk, and egg until creamy. Pour all at once into the well in the dry ingredients and stir just enough to mix; the batter should be lumpy. Don't overmix or the bread will be tough.
- Spoon the batter into a buttered 9x5x3-inch loaf pan, smoothing the top and spreading well to the corners.
- Bake, uncovered, in a preheated 375-degree oven about 45 minutes, or until the bread is richly browned and sounds hollow when thumped.
- Cool the bread in the upright pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Loosen carefully around the edges with a small spatula and turn the bread out on the rack. Turn right side up and cool several hours before slicing. Because of its crumbly and tender texture, this bread will cut more neatly if you wait 24 hours before slicing.
- NOTE: To blanch and toast hazelnuts, spread the nuts in a baking pan and set in a preheated 350-degree oven for 30 to 35 minutes. Cool 10 minutes, bundle in a clean tea towel and rub briskly to remove the skins. Don't worry about any stubborn bits clinging to the nuts--they will add color to the bread. To finely grind hazelnuts, place in a food processor with the metal chopping blade. Pulse for 15 seconds and scrape down the sides of the workbowl. Finish with several fast pulses. Be careful you don't churn the nuts into paste.