2 cdrained crushed pineapple packed in juice
1 1/2 cpineapple juice , reserved from draining, add water if necessary
1/2 cwarm water, (110 degrees)
2 pkgdry yeast (2 tablespoons)
8 1/2 cflour *8 1/2 to -9 1/2 cups
How to Make Pineapple Bread
- drain pineapple thoroughly
- in a saucepan, warm pineapple juice with the butter, salt and half cup of the sugar until butter melts. Cool to lukewarm
- In a large bowl put warm water, yeast and 1 tsp sugar. Let sit until yeast starts to bubble or foam.
- Stir in the cooled pineapple juice mixture, the drained pineapple and the eggs.
- Add flour 2 cups at a time until a soft dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl.
- Turn out onto a floured board or surface., knead with more flour if needed, until smooth and elastic. The dough will still be a bit sticky.
- Grease a large bowl , place dough in bowl to rise, covered with a t towel, in a warm draft free place until double
- Punch dough down and let rest 10 minutes.
- Grease 3 bread loaf pans, divide dough equally.
- roll out each into a rectangle, then roll up and place in loaf pan.
- allow to double in draft free warm place.
- place pans in 350 degree oven and bake 30 to 40 minutes. remove from pans and cool on wire rack.
May use an egg wash before baking, (beaten egg + water) brushed over the tops.
Makes a beautiful braided loaf dusted with poppy seeds.
Make into dinner rolls or,
Make into Hamburger buns to serve at BBQ's