Orange Surprise Sweet Bread
1 Tbspapproximately, vegetable shortening
2 Tbspapproximately, corn flake crumbs (sold with the breadcrumbs)
1/4 corange juice
3/4 cgranulated sugar
1/2 cunsalted butter, softened to room temperature
1 tspbaking soda
1 tspbaking powder
2 call-purpose flour
1/2 cgolden raisins
How to Make Orange Surprise Sweet Bread
- 1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Generously grease a 9x5 loaf pan with shortening. Dust to coat with corn flake crumbs. Set aside
- Cut off a sliver of the rind at the nub and the blossom end of the orange. Cut the orange into 8 pieces, removing any seeds. Place in a food processor fitted with the steel blade. Add the orange juice and pulse until the orange is finely chopped.
- In a mixing bowl, cream the sugar and butter.
- Beat in the orange puree, egg, milk, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Stir in the flour.
- Fold in the raisins.
- Scoop the batter by the spoonful into the prepared pan. Use the back of the spoon to level the batter.
- Bake for 1 hour or until baked through.
- Cool in the pan until the sides shrink away. Remove to a wire rack and continue cooling to room temperature.
- Serve slices just as they are or with a smear of cream cheese or butter.