Not Your Bubie's Mondel Bread
- 2 stick
- unsalted butter
- 3/4 c
- large eggs
- 3 c
- all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp
- baking powder
- 1/2 tsp
- 1 tsp
- pure vanilla extract
- 1 pkg
- chocolate chips
- cinnamon, mixed with sugar for dusting
How to Make Not Your Bubie's Mondel Bread
- 1Preheat oven to 350.
- 2Line a half sheet pan (or large cookie sheet) with parchment paper.
- 3In a mixer, cream together butter and sugar until fluffy.
- 4Add eggs one at a time to make sure they get incorporated well.
- 5Add vanilla and continue to cream.
- 6Stop the mixer and scrape down the sides. Add 1 cup of the flour along with the baking powder and salt (here is where you would add chile pepper if you want a kick) Continue to mix.
- 7Add the remaining 2 cups of flour one at a time to keep the batter light.
- 8Finally add the chocolate chips and mix just until combined.
- 9Dust your work space with flour and divide dough into 3 equal size balls. One at a time, roll the balls into long loaves and place onto cookie sheet.
- 10Slightly flatten each loaf until it is the desired shape of the cookies you'd like.
- 11Dust each loaf with cinnamon sugar and bake for 20 minutes.
- 12At the end of 20 minutes, take them from the oven and slice each loaf into 1/2" pieces. Lie them on their side back on the cookie sheet. Dust again with cinnamon sugar and put them back in the oven until lightly crisp (about 6-7 minutes).
- 13Cool slightly and enjoy with coffee, tea, milk, whatever you like