Not Your Bubie's Mondel Bread
2 stickunsalted butter
3 call purpose flour
1/2 tspbaking powder
1 tsppure vanilla extract
1 pkgchocolate chips
·cinnamon, mixed with sugar for dusting
How to Make Not Your Bubie's Mondel Bread
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Line a half sheet pan (or large cookie sheet) with parchment paper.
- In a mixer, cream together butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time to make sure they get incorporated well.
- Add vanilla and continue to cream.
- Stop the mixer and scrape down the sides. Add 1 cup of the flour along with the baking powder and salt (here is where you would add chile pepper if you want a kick) Continue to mix.
- Add the remaining 2 cups of flour one at a time to keep the batter light.
- Finally add the chocolate chips and mix just until combined.
- Dust your work space with flour and divide dough into 3 equal size balls. One at a time, roll the balls into long loaves and place onto cookie sheet.
- Slightly flatten each loaf until it is the desired shape of the cookies you'd like.
- Dust each loaf with cinnamon sugar and bake for 20 minutes.
- At the end of 20 minutes, take them from the oven and slice each loaf into 1/2" pieces. Lie them on their side back on the cookie sheet. Dust again with cinnamon sugar and put them back in the oven until lightly crisp (about 6-7 minutes).
- Cool slightly and enjoy with coffee, tea, milk, whatever you like