Maple-Nut Coffee Twist
A little time consuming, but makes a pretty coffee cake.
★★★★★ 1 vote5
1 pkgpillsbury hot roll mix (prepare according to package directions)
1 tspmaple flavoring
1 1/2 tspcinnamon
1 1/2 tspmaple flavoring
1/2 cchopped nuts (i use pecans)
6 Tbspmargarine or butter, melted
1 1/2 cpowdered sugar
1/4 tspmaple flavoring
2 to 3 Tbspmilk
How to Make Maple-Nut Coffee Twist
- In large bowl dissolve yeast from hot roll mix in warm water.
Stir in egg, sugar and maple flavoring.
Add hot roll flour mixture; blend well
Place in greased bowl.
Cover, let rise in warm place until light and doubled in size, 30 to 45 minutes.
- Combine all Filling ingredients except margarine.
- Grease 12 inch pizza pan.
- Divide dough equally into three balls.
On lightly floured surface, roll out one ball of dough to 12-inch circle. Fit into bottom of greased pizza pan.
Brush dough with 2 tablespoons melted margarine and sprinkle with about 1/3 cup filling.
Continue in same manner forming 2 more layers and ending with filling.
- Use a glass to mark a 2-inch circle in center of dough (do not cut through dough).
Cut from outside edge just to circle forming 16 pie shaped wedges.
Twist each wedge 5 times.
Let rise in warm place until light and doubled in size, 30 to 45 minutes
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
Bake 17 to 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- In small bowl, combine glaze ingredients until smooth.
Drizzle over warm coffee cake.
- NOTE: I was in a rush one time and didn't want to take the time to roll out three layers and do the twisting. I rolled the dough into a rectangle/oblong shape, brushed with the butter and put all the filling mix on top of that. I rolled it up lengthwise (like a jelly roll) and cut them like cinnamon rolls and baked them in a 9 x 13 inch pan. They turned out just fine. While the above directions makes a pretty cake, I and my neighbor liked them better made this way. They seemed to be moister.