Low-Fat Cinnamon Buns
Cinnamon buns are so many people's
Fresh baked buns not only smell amazing, they're also warm, gooey and absolutely delicious.
Food Court Cinabon's have 900 calories!
In an effort to slim down their recipe to 450 calories, Chef Todd Wilbur has given us this recipe.Enjoy!!
PS- don't be discouraged by the lengthy instructions- just tried to explain them clearly.
5 call purpose flour
1/4 cgranulated sugar
3 pkg(total 3/4 teas.) rapid rise yeast
1 pinchbaking soda
1 Tbspdairy buttermilk
1/3 cbutter or margarine, soft
1 cdark brown sugar, packed
4 tspstrong cinnamon (makara-indonesian korintje)
1/2 csoft butter or margarine
1/4 cbutter or margarine, softened
6 ozreduced-fat cream cheese,cold
1/2 tspvanilla extract
1 dash(es)lemon extract
1 cpowdered sugar
How to Make Low-Fat Cinnamon Buns
- Using a 9x13-inch and a 9x9-inch baking pans spray pan with nonstick spray then cover bottom of pans with parchment paper and spray that too. These buns can be frozen before frosting . Reheat in microwave then frost if desired.
Combine the first 5 ingredients in a large bowl. Mix until combined.
Beat the eggs in a separate bowl. Whisk in water and buttermilk.
Combine the wet mixture with the flour mixture, then add the soft margarine and beat with a paddle until all dry ingredients are moist.
Using a kneading hook to knead the dough for 15 minutes. Wrap dough in plastic and place in fridge for 5 to 6 hours or until dough doubles in size.
- Remove the plastic and press dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Flatten dough with your hands for a bit, then use a rolling pin to shape the dough into a 20-inch by 22-inch wide rectangle.
Use your hands to stretch the dough as necessary to the proper dimensions.
- Spread the remaining margarine over top of the dough, but leave the bottom 1-inch of dough uncoated with margarine.
Combine the brown sugar, cinnamon and cornstarch in a medium bowl. Pour the mixture onto the dough and use your hands to spread it to the edges, except leave the bottom(short end) 1-inch uncovered with mixture. Roll the rolling pin over the mixture to flatten it into the margarine spread.
- Roll the dough tightly starting at the top(the short side). Stretch the dough a little as you roll it down, so that you have around 5 rotations by the time you get to the bottom. Brush a little water over the bottom 1-inch uncoated strip of dough and complete the rolling. Mark the middle of the dough roll, them use a ruler to make 5 marks every 2-inches to the left of the mark, and 5 marks every 2-inches to the right of the mark. Use a serrated knife to cut at each mark to make 10 rolls.
- Place 6 rolls evenly spaced out in the large pan and 4 in the small pan. Place pans into your oven along with a large bowl or pan full of boiling water. Rolls should proof for about 1 hour or until nearly full size(touching) in the pan.
- Preheat oven to 350^ for regular oven or 325^ for convection oven. Bake 16-20 minutes or until light brown and roll temperature is 175^ in the middle. Turn pan half way around halfway through baking.
Whip all ingredients, except powdered sugar for 8-10 minutes until fluffy. Add powdered sugar, then mix again(slowly at first), then on high speed for 30 seconds. Frost buns as soon as they come out of the oven. 450 calories and 12 grams of fat each.