Grandma Maybee's Koo Koo Bread
- 2 c
- 2 tsp
- 4 Tbsp
- vegetable oil
- 1 c
- white sugar
- 1 c
- instant mashed potatoes flakes
- 3 large
- eggs, well beaten
- 2 pkg
- rapid rise yeast
- 2 Tbsp
- baking powder
- 6-8 c
- all purpose flour
- 2 pt
- heavy whipping cream
- 2 c
- 1 c
- cinnamon sugar
POUR OVER THE BREAD BEFORE BAKING
How to Make Grandma Maybee's Koo Koo Bread
- 1Dissolve two yeast packets in 1/2 cup of warm water and 1 tablespoon of sugar. Mix well and set aside for 10 minutes or so.
- 2Heat together on stove, buttermilk, potato buds, salt, oil and sugar until well blended and just barely boiling. Cool mixture down until you can comfortably stick a pinky in and hold it there.
- 3Add buttermilk mixture to 3 beaten eggs and add the yeast and 2 tablespoons of baking powder. Mix well and begin adding flour until you reach kneading consistency.
- 4If you don't have a mixer that kneads, then you knead for around 10 min. for the right bread dough texture. The more kneading, the better, words from my Grandma (per Jacki). The dough will eventually be slightly sticky but not so sticky you can't work with it.
- 5After kneading, divide into 2, roll it out, put into 2 greased cake pans, 9 by 13, cover and put in a warm place. Let rise for about 2 hr. or until it is doubled in size.
- 6Take your index finger and poke holes throughout, covering the top completely with the holes. 1 pint of whipping cream and 1 c. sugar PER PAN. Mix together and then pour over the holes, covering the top completely with the cream.
- 7Take 1/2 cup of cinnamon sugar and sprinkle heavily over bread. Baking time 30 min. at 350 degrees.
*To make cinnamon sugar, mix a cup of sugar with one to two tablespoons of cinnamon.