Irish Spice Bread - Aran Spiosrai
This lovely spice bread is served in Irish homes at tea and whenever anyone wants a slice.
My mothers father was Irish, I am lucky to have sampled many Irish breads growing up. This is not my grandfathers recipe but it is good. Truly, one of my personal favorite Irish breads .... hope you will enjoy.
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
2 tspbaking powder
1/2 tspbaking soda
1 tspmixed spice
1/2 tspground ginger
4 ozlight brown sugar
2 ozcandied citron chopped
6 ozraisins, plain or golden
4 ozsoft butter
6 ozgolden syrup
1 largebeaten egg
How to Make Irish Spice Bread - Aran Spiosrai
- Sift the flour with the soda and baking powder, and the mixed spice and ginger.
- Add the brown sugar, chopped peel and raisins and mix.
- Make a well in the center.
- Melt the butter with the syrup over low heat, then pour into the well in the mixture.
- Add the beaten egg and milk and mix very well.
- Pour into a greased 2-lb loaf pan and bake in a preheated oven at 325 F for 40-50 minutes, or until it tests done.