Irish Bread - The Spotted Dog
Margaret M. Johnson is the author of seven cookbooks, including “Flavors of Ireland.”
Serve this lovely bread with soft butter.
2/3 cgranulated sugar
1 Tbspbaking powder
1 tspbaking soda
1 1/2 craisins or half raisins and half sultanas (golden raisins)
3 tspcaraway seeds
2 largeeggs, beaten
2 Tbspbutter, melted
·soften butter for serving
How to Make Irish Bread - The Spotted Dog
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and grease and flour a 9 inch/22 cm round baking pan.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, and baking soda.
- Stir in the raisins and caraway seeds and then make a well in the center and stir in the eggs, buttermilk, and butter.
- Transfer the dough to the prepared pan and bake for about 1 hour, or until the top is golden and a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on wire rack for 5 minutes and then invert the bread onto the rack and let cool completely before slicing.