Honey Oatmeal Bread
2 cboiling water
1 cold fashioned oats
1 1/2 tspsalt
1/2 cwarm water
1 1/2 Tbspactive dry yeast
4-6 cbread flour (you can use all purpose as well)
2 Tbsphoney (warmed)
How to Make Honey Oatmeal Bread
- In a large bowl, combine 1 cup of oats, 1/2 cup honey, salt, and butter. Pour boiling water over, stir, and let stand for one hour.
- After your mixture has been sitting for about 50 min., dissolve yeast in a small bowl with 1/2 cup warm water. I add about a tsp. of honey so the yeast has something to "eat", ha. Let stand until creamy (about 10 min.).
- Add the yeast to the oat mixture, and then add about 2 cups of flour. Stir until it's well mixed, and then start adding flour a half cup at a time until the dough pulls away from the bowl.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead (adding small amounts of flour when needed), until smooth and elastic (about 10-20 min.).
- Oil a large bowl (or spray with cooking spray), and place dough in the bowl, turning to coat. Cover with a damp towel or loosely with plastic wrap, and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size (about 1 hour). Tip: You'll know it's ready if you press two fingers in and the indents stay.
- Punch down the dough, and turn out on to lightly floured surface. Divide in two, and shape each half into loaves. Place each loaf in a greased 9x5 in. bread pan, cover, and let rise until doubled (about 30 min.).
- Bake at 350 for about about 30 minutes, until top is golden brown and the loaf sounds hollow when tapped.
- When done, remove from pans and brush with slightly warmed honey and sprinkle with oats.
- Note: You can also brush the loaves BEFORE baking with milk or an egg wash and sprinkle with oats, so the top isn't sticky from the honey. Also, you can substitute 1 cup of wheat flour for 1 cup of bread flour if you like (I do).