Fresh Apple Walnut Bread
1/4 cbrown sugar
1 cwarm water
6 cbread flour, possibly more
2medium sized apples, peeled, cored and coarsely chopped. (about 2-3 cups)
1/2 cwalnuts, toasted and chopped
2 Tbspwalnut oil (or substitute any oil)
1/2 tspallspice, ground
How to Make Fresh Apple Walnut Bread
- Heat the 1 cup of milk mixed with the 1 cup of water until just warm, not hot or it will kill the yeast. Add the brown sugar and yeast. Pour this into a large mixing bowl or a standing mixer bowl.
- Add the eggs, apples, nuts and 2 cups of flour. Blend together. Now add the salt. Don’t forget the salt! This goes for any breads you make.
- Now continue adding flour until it makes a soft dough. You can use the dough hook of your mixer to do the kneading for you, or you can do it by hand. Add flour if it is too sticky, but please keep in mind, the apples are moist. You could spend forever adding flour and the apples would keep adding moisture. So not too heavy on the flour. But you don’t want it too sticky. Just tacky.
- Cut the dough in half. Now cut each half into thirds. Roll each third out like a snake, but not too long. Just a garter snake. Then braid them together to make 2 loaves. Tuck the ends in and lay them in an oiled bread pan, 9 x 5. Cover again with plastic and let rise about an hour, until peeking over the edge of the pan. Before baking, remove any large apple bits sticking out on top. Gently pick them off or they will burn during baking.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Brush an egg wash over the loaf and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. Make your own blend or use a store bought.
- Bake about 20 minutes, then lower the temperature to 350 and let it finish baking, about another 15-20 minutes.The loaves needs to reach 180-190 degrees inside. If they get too dark on the outside, just tent some aluminum foil over the top until it reaches proper temperature.
- Let cool for the most part before cutting. I like to freeze one loaf and eat one up now. It will be my morning toast. French toast. Bread pudding. Oh, and you can add raisins or cranberries too if you want.