- 1/3 c
- warm water 110-115 degrees
- 2 1/4 tsp
- active dry yeast
- 1/3 c
- + 1/4 tsp. granulated sugar
- 1 1/3 c
- whole milk
- 3/4 c
- salted butter
- 1 large
- egg at room temp.
- 1 1/2 tsp
- 4 1/2 c
- all purpose flour
How to Make Dinner Rolls
- 1Measure out warm water into a liquid measuring cup then stir in yeast and 1/4 teaspoon of sugar, whisk until yeast has dissolved then let rest 5-10 minutes until mixture is foamy
- 2Pour yeast mixture (scrapping out excess) into the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, add in 1/3 cup sugar, warm milk, 5 Tbsp butter, egg and salt.
- 3Blend mixture until combine.
- 4Add in 2 cups flour and mix until well combine.
- 5Switch attachment to a dough hook, with mixer on low speed, slowly add remaining 2 1/2 cups flour and mix until dough is smooth and elastic, about 4-5 minutes (dough should be slightly sticky when touched).
- 6Transfer dough to a greased, large mixing bowl and cover bowl with plastic wrap.
- 7Allow dough to rise in a warm place, free from draft, until double in size, about 1 1/2 hours.
- 8Punch dough down and divide dough into 2 equal portions. Shape each portion into a ball.
- 9Roll each dough ball out on a lightly floured surface into a large circle about 13 inches across (try to keep dough as much of an even thickness as possible).
- 10Spread each circle of dough evenly with 2 TBSP butter.
- 11Cut each circle into 4 equal quarters, then each quarter into 3 wedges (just imagine cutting pizza slices or pie slices).
- 12Roll each wedge up, beginning on wide (outside) edge.
- 13Transfer rolls to a buttered 10 X 15 inch cookie sheet (The tip of the rolled wedge should be tucked on the bottom.Note that you can fit 3 rows of 8 rolls).
- 14Cover rolls loosely with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until double in size, about 1 hour.
- 15During the last 10 minutes of rising preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- 16Remove Plastic Wrap and bake rolls in preheated oven for 15 to 19 minutes until golden brown. Remove from oven and brush with remaining 3 TBSP of butter (You may not need all of it). Serve warm or allow to cool and store in airtight container.