Dad's Sinnamon Rolls
How to Make Dad's Sinnamon Rolls
- 1Mix together lukewarm milk, sugar, and salt. Add yeast and stir until dissolved. Stir in eggs, 1/2 C. softened shortening. Mix in 4 1/2 to 5 cups flour first with spoon than by hand. Add the flour in two additions, using the amount necessary to make it easy to handle. When the dough begins to leave the sides of the bowl, turn it out onto lightly floured board to knead.
- 2KNEAD: Fold dough over towards you. Then press down away from you with heel of hand. Give dough quarter turn, repeat until it's smooth, elastic, and doesn't stick to board.
- 3Place in greased bowl, turning once to bring greased side up. Cover with damp cloth and let rise in warm, draft free spot (80 to 85 degrees) until doubled (1 1/2 to 2 hours).
- 4Press two fingers into dough. It will leave indentation when dough is doubled.
- 5PUNCH DOWN: Thrust first into dough, pulling edges into center and turn completely over in bowl.
- 6Roll dough into oblong 9"x18"in. Spread 2 Tbsp. softened butter and sprinkle with 1/2 cup sugar and 2 teaspoons cinnamon.
- 7Roll up tightly, beginning at wide side. Seal well by pinching edges of roll together. Cut roll into 1" slices. Place a little apart in greased 13"x9" pan or 18 muffin cups.
- 8Cover and let rise until double in bulk (35 to 40 minutes). CAUTION: Do not let dough rise more than double after shaping. They will fall, and become coarse and open and very dry when baked. Bake until golden brown and completely baked through.
- 9NOTE: to test for doneness...separate a roll slightly with fork to see if well baked.
BAKE TIME: 25to 30 minutes