Our Christmas big dinner is held on Christmas Eve. This lovely sweet bread is just what is needed after the dinner table has been cleared and one can sit down with a cup of coffee or a glass of wine while the children open their presents. (No not the ones from Santa Claus brings.)
2 cscalded organic raw whole milk, cooled to 120*
1 1/2 Tbspyeast
1/2 craw organic butter, softened
8 corganic all purpose flour, sifted
2exlarge organic eggs, beaten
1 tspfreshly grated organic cardamom
1 tsporange or lemon extra..i like the oil better
1 corganic granulated sugar
1organic egg yolk
1 ccandied orange or lemon peel
1 cuporganic golden raisins, soak in warm water till soft
How to Make Christmas Kringle
- I save all my lemon and orange peels, using them to make my own candied ones. But you can buy candied orange or lemon at the store during the holidays.
- Dissolve yeast in the 1/4 cup of warm milk. Pour into a large bowl with the warm scalded milk. (Scaled milk needs to be cooled to warm, before pour the yeast mixure in)
- Add the softed butter, sugar, salt, extract, Cardamom and eggs. Mix thoroughly. Add the candied orange or lemon peel and the raisins.
- Stir in about 3/4 of the sifted flour and stir till well blended. Turn out and knead the dough...add more flour as needed until you have a soft dough. Knead for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place till double.
- Slightly floured a surface to shape the bread on.
Cut the dough in 3 equal pieces, roll them (do not stretch) till they are about 12 inches long. Braid the dough, pinch the end pieces together.
Cover and set aside to rise double.
- Brush with egg wash and sprinkle the almonds on top.
- Bake 350* 20 to 30 minutes or until golden brown and bread tests to done.
- Sift powdered sugar on top to serve.