Buttermilk-Lime Tea Bread
It is also a recipe that I am working on making a little more diabetic friendly.
How to Make Buttermilk-Lime Tea Bread
- 1Heat oven to 350°F (325°F for dark or nonstick pan). Grease bottom and sides of 8x4- or 9x5-inch loaf pan with shortening or spray with cooking spray; lightly flour.
- 2In medium bowl, mix flour, 3/4 cup sugar, the baking powder and salt; set aside.
- 3In another medium bowl, stir egg, buttermilk, oil, lime peel and 1 tablespoon of the lime juice with spoon until well blended. Add buttermilk mixture to flour mixture and stir just until moistened (some lumps will remain). Spread in pan.
- 4Bake 50 to 60 minutes or until golden brown and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Meanwhile, in small bowl, mix remaining 2 tablespoons lime juice and 1 tablespoon sugar.
- 5Brush lime juice mixture over top of warm bread. Cool in pan on cooling rack 10 minutes; remove bread from pan to cooling rack. Cool completely, about 1 hour. When completely cool, wrap in plastic wrap. Bread is best served the next day.
- 6** NOTE: For a tasty spread, stir a tablespoon of sugar and a teaspoon of grated lime peel into a small tub of spreadable cream cheese.