Breakfast Fruit Sticks
- 1 pkg
- active dry yeast
- 1/4 c
- lukewarm water
- 1 c
- milk, scalded
- 1 c
- crisco shortening
- 4 c
- 1 tsp
- 4 Tbsp
- granulated sugar
- egg yokes, slightly beaten
- 1 can(s)
- fruit pie filling (cherry, peach, apple0
- powdered sugar frosting
- chopped nuts
How to Make Breakfast Fruit Sticks
- 1Dissolve yeast in lukewarm water and set aside.
Cool scalded milk to lukewarm.
- 2Sift flour, salt and sugar together. Cut in Crisco with pastry cutter. Add egg yokes, lukewarm milk and yeast mixture. Stir until well mixed. Kneed for awhile. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- 3In the morning...
Cut the dough into 4 equal pieces. Roll on floured surface into a rectangular shape the width of a jelly roll pan and about 6" wide. Place dough on jelly roll pan. Spread 1/4 can pie filling down center of rectangle. Mentally divide the rectangle into thirds. Flap the outer thirds over the middle third covering the filling. Continue with remaining three pieces of dough.
- 4Cover with a dry clean towel and let rise for 1 hour. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Remove from oven. Cook on rack.
- 5Frost with powdered sugar frosting and sprinkle with chopped nuts. Slice into 1 1/2" slices.
- 6Suggested combinations:
Peach pie filling with chopped pecans
Apple pie filling with chopped walnuts
Cherry pie filling with sliced almonds
- 7To modernize this recipe a bit.
You can use the dough hooks on your mixer. Makes the prep time go much faster. You can also substitute the powdered sugar frosting for canned vanilla. When I use my dough hooks, I still kneed for a bit by hand. Does my soul good to get my hands into it!