Boston Brown Bread- simple recipe
Recipe 1967. Recipe saved in a box.
This recipe is a little different is that it doesn't have whole wheat, rye,or cornmeal.
- 1 2/3 c
- all purpose flour
- 1 tsp
- baking soda
- 1/4 c
- brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1/2 tsp
- 1/3 c
- dark molasses
- 1 c
- 1/2 c
- raisins or currants ,optional
How to Make Boston Brown Bread- simple recipe
- 1Preheat oven to 325^. Generously spray or grease a 1-pound coffee can. Set aside.
- 2Combine the flour, baking soda, salt, and sugar in a mixing bowl. Stir in molasses and milk. If using raisins, dust with flour to coat first, then fold into the batter.
- 4Place in a deep baking pan and fill the pan with boiling water, to come 1/2 way up the sides of the can.
Place in oven and allow to steam for 2 hours, checking the war level after 1 hour. Add more boiling water if needed. Check by sticking a skewer into the bread; it will come clean when done. Remove string and foil and allow to cool for 1 hour before removing from can.