Bollywood Banana Bread
·1 c sugar
·2 eggs, (or 1/2 cup yogurt)
·1/2 c ghee, melted & cooled (or vegetable oil)
·1 tsp ground cinnamon/dalchini
·1/2 tsp ground mace/javatri
·1/2 tsp ground cloves/laung
·1 tsp baking powder
·1/4 tsp salt
·1 tbs ginger preserves
·3 very ripe bananas, pureed or mashed finely with fork
·1&1/4 c flour/maida
·1/2 c chopped walnuts (optional)
How to Make Bollywood Banana Bread
- Preheat oven to 350F/180C. Butter & flour an 8"x 4" loaf pan.
- Combine eggs (or yogurt/dahi), spices, oil (or ghee), baking powder, ginger preserves, & salt in large mixing bowl. Stir until well mixed.
- Add bananas & beat until well mixed.
- Fold flour into mixture until just combined, do not over mix
- Pour batter into buttered & floured pan, top with chopped walnuts. Bake for 50-60 minutes or until tester stuck in the middle of bread comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes before removing bread from pan.
- Don't have ginger preserves? Orange marmalade, apricot, pineapple, or mango jam or preserves work well in this recipe also.
Want to make this bread 'veg'? Use 1/2 cup full fat yogurt in place of eggs.
Don't have ghee or a suitable vegetable oil? Use butter instead, softened to room temperature.
Brown sugar will give this bread a more treacle-y flavor like jaggery. White sugar will work too, but the bread will be lighter in color.
Need some fiber in your diet? Whole meal flour (chakki atta) works well in this recipe in place of white flour (maida) too.