BARMBRACK (IRISH FRUITCAKE)
Recipe & photo: theday.com
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
1 stickactive dry yeast
1 1/2 clukewarm water
4 Tbspplus 1 tsp. sugar for yeast
3 1/3 call purpose flour
4 Tbspbutter (1/2 stick)
1 1/2 craisins
1/2 cmixed candied peel
How to Make BARMBRACK (IRISH FRUITCAKE)
- Place the yeast in a bowl of lukewarm water, add the tsp. of sugar, stir and leave to one side.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, butter and salt with a pastry blender until it forms sand-like crumbs. Do not allow the butter to become too warm.
- Add the peel, raisins and the remaining sugar and stir to combine.
- Make a well in the center of the flour mixture, add the beaten eggs and the yeast mixture. Work the mixture together to form a soft dough.
- Knead the dough on a floured work top for 10 minutes until smooth and pliable. Place the dough back into the bowl. Cover with a clean tea cloth and leave in a warm place until the dough has doubled in size (about 1 hour).
- Return the dough to the worktop, divide in 2, knead each half for another few minutes and then form into a round approximately 7". Place on a greased baking sheet and leave to rise for another hour.
- Bake in a preheated 400-degree oven for 30 minutes, until golden brown.