How to Make Avanti's Bread
- Dissolve yeast in warm water; add remaining ingredients & knead for approximately 10 minutes, or until dough is smooth & elastic.
- Place dough in a greased bowl, turning once to bring greased side up.
- Cover with a cloth & let rise in a warm, draft-free spot until dough has doubled in bulk (1 1/2 to 2 hours).
- After first rising, punch dough down in bowl & turn over; let rise again until double (30-45 minutes).
- Cut dough into 5 to 6 portions, each about the size of a grapefruit.
- Let rise, covered for 10 minutes.
- Flatten dough, pressing out all the air, and form into long loaves, about 12" long.
- Place loaves on greased & floured cookie sheets; cover & let rise again (50-60 minutes).
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Bake loaves for 20-25 minutes, until tops are golden brown & loaves sound hollow when tapped on the bottom.