Swiss - Fribourg-style Cuchaule: Saffron Bread
550 gwhite flour
1 - 2 pinchsaffron
½cube yeast or 1 packet of dry yeast
40 gbutter, melted and warm
3deciliter of milk
2eggs, beaten seperately
How to Make Swiss - Fribourg-style Cuchaule: Saffron Bread
- Mix flour, sugar, salt and saffron in an extra-large mixing bowl.
- Prepare yeast and add yeast to flour mixture and stir.
- Add milk and warm melted butter and stir.
- Add saffron and one egg and stir well.
- Knead until it forms a soft, smooth dough and it no longer sticks to sides of bowl.
- Let it rise until it doubles in volume, about 2 hours.
- Put dough onto floured working surface, and shape it into two round breads.
- Cover baking sheet with wax paper and place loaves on baking sheet.
- Use a knife to from a criss-cross pattern on the top of each loaf.
- Let dough rise a second time for 30 to 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 180° C.
- Use a pastry brush to coat each loaf with the remaining beaten egg and bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool before cutting.