★★★★★ 1 vote5
- 1 pkg
- active dry yeast
- 1 Tbsp
- each salt and sugar
- 5 c
- all purpose flour
- sprinkle cornmeal as needed
How to Make Southern Crusty Fat Free Bread
- 1Dissolve yeast in two cups lukewarm water in large mixing bowl.
- 2Add salt and sugar and mix well. With wooden spoon, beat in enough flour, 1 cup at a time, to form a smooth ball that clears side of bowl. Cover, and set in warm place free from drafts, for one and a half hours, or until doubled in bulk.
- 3Stir down, then turn out on lightly floured board. Knead a few turns, then cut in half. Shape each half in a loaf, about 12 inches long. Put on baking sheet, well sprinkled with cornmeal.
- 4Let rise 5 minutes, then slash tops in 4 places with sharp knife. Brush with water and put in cold oven with pan of boiling water on bottom rack.
- 5Turn oven control to 400 degrees F, and bake 40 minutes, or until crusty and lightly browned. Best served hot.