Southern Corn Bread
My wife is from New York and puts Honey on hers before eating.
Being from the south there is nothing better than adding a pat of butter to the bread before eating.
This goes great with a fresh pot of homemade soup.
Finish it off with a glass of whole milk or buttermilk and crumble a piece of the bread in the glass for desert.
- 1 c
- yellow corn meal ( self rising)
- 1 c
- self rising flour
- 1 qt
- butter milk or whole milk
- 1 tsp
- sugar (per taste)
How to Make Southern Corn Bread
- 1Set oven at 400 degrees Take a 12" Black Iron Skillet put in about 4 Tablespoons of Oil ( 3" circle in bottom of pan). Place this in the oven to heat until oil is hot enough to smoke.
- 2Mix flour,meal,eggs and 1 Tablespoon of Oil. ( Add sugar per your taste. Southern is none) in bowl and add Buttermilk. Add enough Buttermilk to make and easy pourable mix.(Not thin and not thick in between).
- 3Take pan from oven and pour in mix. (Make sure to drop a little of mix in to pan to make sure it is sizzling). Place pan in oven and let cook for 30 minutes or until top is hard.Take pan out of stove and turn over on another plate then place bread back in pan upside down and cook for another 10 to 15 minutes