Savory, Herbed Grilled Cheese French Toast
- 8 slice
- french bread or sourdough bread, thickly sliced
- 1/2 c
- eggs, at room temperature & well beaten
- 1 tsp
- kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp
- thyme, leaves, minced
- 1/2 tsp
- oregano, dried
- 1/4 tsp
- white pepper
- 1 pinch
- cayenne pepper
- 1/2 to 3/4 c
- sharp cheddar, finely grated
- 1/4 to 1/2 c
- fontina cheese, finely grated
- 3 Tbsp
- parmigiano-reggiano, grated
- 2 Tbsp
- butter, unsalted at room temperature
How to Make Savory, Herbed Grilled Cheese French Toast
- 1In a casserole dish, combine the buttermilk, beaten eggs, salt, pepper, thyme, oregano and cayenne pepper.
- 2In a mixing bowl, whisk the softened butter, then fold in the grated cheese. Divide into four equal parts and spread on toast. Cover with an additional slice.
- 3Preheat a non-stick skillet over medium high heat.
- 4Dredge each sandwich in the batter, coating each side. Place in skillet and brown top and bottom and the cheese is melted; about 4 to 5 minutes per side.
- 5Serve with a beer and a steaming hot bowl of your favorite tomato soup. Enjoy!