1 1/2 ccornbread mix
1 ccreamed corn
2 dropsfavorite hot sauce
1 csour cream
1/4 tspdill weed
1 cgrated medium or sharp cheddar cheese
How to Make Onion Corny-bread
- Peel the onion and cut it in half. Lay the halves on the flat side, and cut thin slices.
- In a small non-stick skillet, saute the onion slices in the butter, over medium-low heat, until caramel brown. Be careful not to scorch them. Set aside to cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the egg, then whisk in the milk, and hot sauce.
- Add the creamed corn, and stir in the cornbread mix.
- Pour the batter into an 8" square baking dish that has been prepared with food release spray. Set aside.
- Put the cooled onions into the empty mixing bowl. Add the sour cream, salt, dill weed, and half the shredded cheese. Stir gently to combine.
- Spread the sour cream mixture over the top of the cornbread batter. Then sprinkle on the remaining cheese.
- Bake 25-30 minutes at 425*.
- NOTES: I typically make my own cornbread rather than use a mix, and double the other ingredients, but a Jiffy Corn Muffin mix is just the right size for this recipe.
I think the flavors are better using sharper cheddar, but medium works well, too.
This recipe is easily made gluten free, by using gluten free flour, or a gluten free cornbread mix.
I've also made this dairy-free by using substitutes for the milk, sour cream, and cheese.