Old Fashioned Spoon Bread
3/4 ccornmeal (stone ground or water mill)
1 cboiling water
3 Tbspmelted butter
1 cmilk ( i prefer canned milk but fresh milk is good too)
2 tspbaking powder
How to Make Old Fashioned Spoon Bread
- Preheat the oven to 350° and gather your ingredients.
- Grease an 8-inch baking dish or 1 1/2-quart casserole or a small cast iron pan.
- Mix cornmeal and salt in a mixing bowl ( add the baking powder until step 7).
- Gradually add the boiling water while whisking out the lumps. Add the melted butter and stir to blended. Let the mixture rest for about 5 minutes.
- Whisk the milk into the cornmeal mix
- In a small bowl, beat the eggs thoroughly.
- Whisk the beaten eggs into the cornmeal mixture along with baking powder. Blend well with a whisk or electric mixer. (Preferably a whisk as you dont want to over work the batter)
- Turn the batter into the prepared baking dish.
- Bake for about 35 minutes, or until set and lightly browned.
- Once out of the oven top with butter and honey while hot. Serve hot with lots of butter. Enjoy!!!!