Momma's Cracklin Cornbread
1 1/2 ccornmeal, white or yellow
1 call purpose flour
2 tspbaking powder
1/2 tspbaking soda
1 Tbspsugar, optional
1 1/4 cbuttermilk
1egg slightly beaten
6 Tbspbutter, melted
1 cpork cracklins, break up the larger pieces
How to Make Momma's Cracklin Cornbread
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 F.
- Prepare an 8 x 10 oblong baking pan by spraying it with butter-flavored cooking spray.
- In a medium-size bowl, mix the dry ingredients, stirring to combine.
- In a second bowl, add the wet ingredients, mixing well.
- Gently fold in the dry cracklins and pour this mixture into the prepared baking dish.
- Bake at 400 F for 25 to 30 minutes.
- NOTE: Over the years this recipe has been cooked in everything from cast iron skillets or corn cob molds, cake pans and even waffle irons. I have even spooned the mixture by the ladle into a skillet of hot oil and made individual servings of fried cornbread (called corn pones). It is a very versatile and forgiving recipe.