Laugenbrezel [Original German Bräuhaus Pretzels]
- 1 1/2 Tbsp
- barley malt syrup ***
- *** you can purchase this at www.shoporganic.com [search: "eden foods - organic barley malt syrup"]
- 1 pkg
- active dry yeast
- 3 Tbsp
- unsalted butter, softened + more for serving
- 4 c
- all purpose flour + more for dusting
- 1/4 tsp
- kosher salt
- 2 1/2 Tbsp
- baking soda
- pretzel salt or coarse salt for finishing pretzels
How to Make Laugenbrezel [Original German Bräuhaus Pretzels]
- 1Preheat oven with baking, bread or pizza stone to 500 degrees.
- 2Stir together barley malt syrup and yeast into 1 1/2 cups warm water in a large mixing bowl. Let sit until top is foamy [about 10 minutes].
- 3Add butter, flour and salt and mix until dough forms. Transfer to a floured work surface and knead until smooth and elastic [about 8 minutes].
- 5Bring baking soda to a simmer in 1 cup of water in saucepan over medium-high heat. Stir constantly until baking soda is dissolved. Generously brush each pretzel with the mixture. Sprinkle with coarse pretzel salt.
- 6Using a sharp paring knife, make a 4 to 5 inch slash along the bottom of the pretzel [see photo].
- 7Using the parchment paper, carefully transfer two of the pretzels to the baking stone and bake until a rich, dark brown [about 12 to 15 minutes]. Repeat with remaining two pretzels.
- 8Let the pretzels cool for 8 to 10 minutes, brush with melted butter and sprinkle with more salt [if desired] and serve with beer, coarse-grain mustard or cheese. Enjoy!