KUMMELROGGENBROT or Caraway Rye Bread
This is my favorite rye bread!!
- yeast, cake compressed
- 2 c
- lukewarm water
- 3 Tbsp
- dark molasses
- 3 Tbsp
- melted butter
- 3 to 3 1/4 c
- 2 1/2 c
- rye flour
- 3 tsp
- 2 Tbsp
- caraway seeds
How to Make KUMMELROGGENBROT or Caraway Rye Bread
- 1Crumble yeast in large mixing bowl and pour on water 115 degrees. Add the molasses and the melted butter.
NOTE: I use my kitchen aid mixer
- 2Mix together the flour, rye flour, salt and caraway seeds. Add half to yeast mixture and beat well.
- 3Change paddle for dough hook. Add remaining flour mixture slowly and let dough hook do the kneading.
Knead until smooth. At least 10-15 minutes.
- 4Turn dough into buttered bowl. Cover and let rise in warm place until double. About 1 hour.
- 5Turn dough out onto floured board. Cut into two and let rest for 10 minutes.
- 6Mold into round loafs and place on buttered pan. I use parchment paper buttered. Cover and let rise for 1 hour or until double.
- 7Preheat oven at 400 degrees. Bake for 35 minutes.